bims-myxlip Biomed News
on Myxoid liposarcoma
Issue of 2024‒01‒21
three papers selected by
Laura Mannarino, Humanitas Research

  1. J Clin Oncol. 2024 Jan 17. JCO2300908
      PURPOSE: A randomized trial was conducted to compare neoadjuvant standard (S) anthracycline + ifosfamide (AI) regimen with histology-tailored (HT) regimen in selected localized high-risk soft tissue sarcoma (STS). The results of the trial demonstrated the superiority of S in all STS histologies except for high-grade myxoid liposarcoma (HG-MLPS) where S and HT appeared to be equivalent. To further evaluate the noninferiority of HT compared with S, the HG-MLPS cohort was expanded.PATIENTS AND METHODS: Patients had localized high-grade (cellular component >5%; size ≥5 cm; deeply seated) MLPS of extremities or trunk wall. The primary end point was disease-free survival (DFS). The secondary end point was overall survival (OS). The trial used a noninferiority Bayesian design, wherein HT would be considered not inferior to S if the posterior probability of the true hazard ratio (HR) being >1.25 was <5%.
    RESULTS: From May 2011 to June 2020, 101 patients with HG-MLPS were randomly assigned, 45 to the HT arm and 56 to the S arm. The median follow-up was 66 months (IQR, 37-89). Median size was 107 mm (IQR, 84-143), 106 mm (IQR, 75-135) in the HT arm and 108 mm (IQR, 86-150) in the S arm. At 60 months, the DFS and OS probabilities were 0.86 and 0.73 (HR, 0.60 [95% CI, 0.24 to 1.46]; log-rank P = .26 for DFS) and 0.88 and 0.90 (HR, 1.20 [95% CI, 0.37 to 3.93]; log-rank P = .77 for OS) in the HT and S arms, respectively. The posterior probability of HR being >1.25 for DFS met the Bayesian monitoring cutoff of <5% (4.93%). This result confirmed the noninferiority of trabectedin to AI suggested in the original study cohort.
    CONCLUSION: Trabectedin may be an alternative to standard AI in HG-MLPS of the extremities or trunk when neoadjuvant treatment is a consideration.
  2. BMJ Case Rep. 2024 Jan 16. pii: e258407. [Epub ahead of print]17(1):
      We present a case of an extremely rare type of soft-tissue sarcoma with an atypical clinical presentation. The patient, a female in her 20s with Li Fraumeni syndrome, had prior surgery for a large intra-abdominal tumour that was given the diagnosis of malignant myxoid spindle cell neoplasm. Her recurrence manifested as diffuse intra-abdominal sarcomatosis for which she ultimately underwent subtotal debulking with palliative intent. Final pathology rendered the diagnosis of myxoid pleomorphic liposarcoma, a newly described entity, distinct from the more common liposarcoma subtypes. The optimal treatment for this typically aggressive disease is currently unknown; until that is better defined, management should be carried out by sarcoma specialists.
    Keywords:  Oncology; Pathology
  3. Expert Opin Ther Targets. 2024 Jan 17.
      INTRODUCTION: soft tissue sarcomas are a group of rare, mesenchymal tumors characterized by dismal prognosis in advanced/metastatic stages. Knowledge of their molecular determinants is still rather limited. However, in recent years, epigenetic regulation - the modification of gene expression/function without DNA sequence variation - has emerged as a key player both in sarcomagenesis and sarcoma progression.AREAS COVERED: Herein, we describe and review the main epigenetic mechanisms involved in chromatin remodeling and their role as disease drivers in different soft tissue sarcoma histotypes, focusing on epithelioid sarcoma, synovial sarcoma, and malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors. Focusing on chromatin-remodeling complexes, we provide an in-depth on the role of BAF complex alterations in these soft tissue sarcoma histotypes. In parallel, we highlight current state-of-the-art and future perspectives in the development of rational, innovative treatments leveraging on epigenetic dysregulation in soft tissue sarcomas.
    EXPERT OPINION: Therapeutic options for metastatic/advanced sarcomas are to date very limited and largely represented by cytotoxic agents, with only modest results. In the continuous attempt to find novel targets and innovative, effective drugs, epigenetic mechanisms represent an emerging and promising field of research, especially for malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors, epithelioid and synovial sarcoma.
    Keywords:  BAF; Epigenetics; epithelioid sarcoma; synovial sarcoma